We didn’t yet have any bookings for today and so we slept in and had breakfast in the Winkiku restaurant at the hotel. They had an impressive selection range for breakfast.
We had been unsure what to do today because the forecast was for more rain with the likelihood of thunderstorms. Although it was cold and overcast, there was no sign of either rain or thunderstorms and there were even some sunny breaks. When I logged onto my laptop later in the morning, the radar showed that the showers and storms were in the Alice Springs area rather than Uluru.
Suzy and Annie decided to book a 15-minute helicopter tour of Ayres rock. I decided that I would keep my feet on the ground and so I booked a trip to Ayres Rock so I could walk around the base of the rock. The pickup for the helicopter was at 12:15pm whereas my pickup was at 12:30pm.
Suzy and Annie enjoyed the helicopter flight but the 15 minute journey was only really enough just to get to the rock and back. It didn’t fly around the rock.
The Uluru Express that took me to and from the rock was a small van for only 12 people. She dropped me at the base of the climb and suggested that I walk anticlockwise because I had already done the Mala Walk. I walked about 40% of the way around the rock and then decided that I didn’t quite have enough time to get all the way around before the pickup time and so I retraced my steps to the pickup point.
I went well rugged up. The maximum temperature today was only 13C and the wind made it feel colder. Normally, I don't wear a jumper when I go walking in Sydney during the day. Today I wore three layers and gloves most of the time. I was regretting that I hadn't packed my beanie for this holiday.
When I got back to the hotel at about 4:30pm, Suzy told me that the Sounds of Silence dinner was cancelled again tonight because of the weather and she had booked instead to go to the Arnguli Grill at the nearby Desert Gardens Hotel.
Saturday, 30 May 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment